Monday, March 15, 2010

“Joannie Rochette withdraws from world figure skating championships - Toronto Star” plus 3 more


Joannie Rochette withdraws from world figure skating championships - Toronto Star

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 09:10 AM PDT

Figure skater Joannie Rochette holds up her bronze medal in Montreal after returning from the Vancouver Olympics. (March 1, 2010)

Figure skater Joannie Rochette holds up her bronze medal in Montreal after returning from the Vancouver Olympics. (March 1, 2010)

Graham Hughes/THE CANADIAN PRESS

 

OTTAWA—Just over three weeks after her mother's death, Joannie Rochette has decided she's not up to skating at the world figure skating championships.

The 24-year-old from Ile-Dupas, Que., captured bronze at last month's Vancouver Winter Games less than a week after her mom Therese died of a heart attack. But she said Monday that the emotional events of the last few weeks have caused her to miss too much training time.

"That means I'm not prepared either emotionally or physically to skate well at these championships and challenge for the podium," Rochette said in a statement. "Whenever I compete I want to give my best to the fans and to respect my competitive nature of the sport.

"I just would not be able to do that for either the fans or myself next week."

Rochette is the reigning world silver medallist.

She carried Canada's flag into the closing ceremonies in Vancouver after her courageous performance in winning bronze behind Kim Yu-Na of South Korea and Japan's Mao Asada.

Rochette received an outpouring of support in Vancouver.

"There has been so much kindness shown to me and my family," she said. "I want you all to know that your words of encouragement have truly helped me get through this very difficult time.

"I also want to wish our Canadian team members all the very best as they compete in Torino. They all have my best wishes for a great competition."

Rochette's spot on the Canadian team will be filled by Myriane Samson of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que.

Cynthia Phaneuf of Contrecoeur, Que., is the other women's singles skater competing in Turin.

Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

Foot injury keeps Chipeur from world figure skating ... - Vancouver Sun

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 08:15 AM PST

Two-time Canadian silver medallist Vaughn Chipeur has pulled out of the world figure skating championships as the result of a foot injury.

The 25-year-old Edmontonian, who trains in Calgary, has been skating with the foot injury all season. But an MRI conducted after last month's Olympic Games in Vancouver revealed a torn anterior talofibular ligament in his right foot.

Chipeur finished 23rd in a field of 24 at the Olympics. He has finished second to Patrick Chan at the past two Canadian championships, after finishing fourth in 2008.

"My Olympic experience has really re-energized my love of skating and competing," said Chipeur, who may require surgery to repair the foot. "I'm interested in continuing to skate, and to progress in the sport, and look forward to coming back next season even stronger."

The worlds are scheduled for March 22-28 in Turin, Italy.

"Given the extent of the injury, it wouldn't allow Vaughn to train properly for worlds," said Scott Davis, who coaches Chipeur at Calgary's Calalta Skating Club. "The injury affects both the picking of the toe into the ice for some jumps and the landing of all of his jumps."

Replacing Chipeur in Turin is Kevin Reynolds of Coquitlam, B.C. The 19-year-old, who was third behind Chipeur at 2010 Canadian championships, will join Chan as Canada's two men's singles representatives.

Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

Weir drops out of figure skating championships - ESPN.com

Posted: 09 Mar 2010 02:29 PM PST

'); document.write(''); } else if ( show_gigya ) { document.write('
  • '); document.write('Share
  • '); function showShareUI(){ var H = {APIKey:"2_B48MVBl19K9CQj72UVrAqLh7VSAyZDfMkclkt8foSSRaAbdWu36H_N3Ky_ERWhDG", enabledProviders: "facebook,twitter", cid:"ESPN.Story"}; var I = new gigya.services.socialize.UserAction(); var A = {}; I.setUserMessage(""); if (jQuery(":header:first").length > 0) { I.setTitle(jQuery(".article").find(":header:first").text()); } else { I.setTitle(decodeURIComponent("Weir%20drops%20out%20of%20figure%20skating%20championships")); } I.setLinkBack("http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=figureskating%26id=4980434"); if (jQuery("#videoInfo").length > 0) { I.setDescription(jQuery(".article p:not(div.beta-opt p):first").text()); } else { I.setDescription(jQuery("p:first").text()); } if (jQuery(".article .image, .headshot").length > 0) { var theimage = (jQuery(".article .image, .headshot").find("img").attr("src")); I.addMediaItem( { type: 'image', src: theimage, href: 'http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=figureskating%26id=4980434' }); } A.userAction = I; gigya.services.socialize.showShareUI(H,A); return false; } } Associated Press

    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Johnny Weir needs a break.

    The figure skater announced Tuesday he will not compete at the world championships later this month in Turin, Italy. But he's not calling it quits, either, saying he hopes the work he does for next season will be the "most exciting of my career."

    "While I understand the importance of competition, I feel that a short break at this time would be personally beneficial to me," said Weir, who was sixth at the Vancouver Olympics. "I can assure everyone that I will be re-energized after I've had time to rework my technique.

    "I want to be a better competitor and win medals for my country and I hope everyone can respect my decision to take this time off."

    Weir will be replaced by Adam Rippon, winner of the last two junior world titles.

    With worlds beginning less than a month after the games end, it's not unusual for some of the biggest names to take a pass in an Olympic year.

    Olympic men's champion Evan Lysacek had already said he will not defend his title at worlds, which begin March 22 in Turin. Ice dancers Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin, who added the Olympic bronze medal to their world title from last year, are also taking a pass.

    Weir has spent much of the last week on a media blitz in New York and Los Angeles. But the fan favorite expects to be back on the ice soon.

    "I will continue to work hard," he said, "and I hope my work for next season will be the most exciting of my career."


    Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

    This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

    Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

    'NCIS: Los Angeles' Goes Full Throttle to Find a Killer - 9News

    Posted: 09 Mar 2010 01:43 AM PST

    Secrets Revealed on 'Inside the Bachelor'

    From a margarita machine in the house to which "Bachelor" required $20,000 of dental work -- the "20/20" special, "Inside The Bachelor: The Stories Behind the Rose," revealed surprising secrets about the hit ABC reality franchise, including, do the couples really get intimate on the show?

    Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment