Thursday, March 11, 2010

“Foot injury keeps Chipeur from world figure skating ... - Vancouver Sun” plus 3 more


Foot injury keeps Chipeur from world figure skating ... - Vancouver Sun

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 08:15 AM PST

Two-time Canadian silver medallist Vaughn Chipeur has pulled out of the world figure skating championships as the result of a foot injury.

The 25-year-old Edmontonian, who trains in Calgary, has been skating with the foot injury all season. But an MRI conducted after last month's Olympic Games in Vancouver revealed a torn anterior talofibular ligament in his right foot.

Chipeur finished 23rd in a field of 24 at the Olympics. He has finished second to Patrick Chan at the past two Canadian championships, after finishing fourth in 2008.

"My Olympic experience has really re-energized my love of skating and competing," said Chipeur, who may require surgery to repair the foot. "I'm interested in continuing to skate, and to progress in the sport, and look forward to coming back next season even stronger."

The worlds are scheduled for March 22-28 in Turin, Italy.

"Given the extent of the injury, it wouldn't allow Vaughn to train properly for worlds," said Scott Davis, who coaches Chipeur at Calgary's Calalta Skating Club. "The injury affects both the picking of the toe into the ice for some jumps and the landing of all of his jumps."

Replacing Chipeur in Turin is Kevin Reynolds of Coquitlam, B.C. The 19-year-old, who was third behind Chipeur at 2010 Canadian championships, will join Chan as Canada's two men's singles representatives.

Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

Weir drops out of figure skating championships - ESPN.com

Posted: 09 Mar 2010 02:29 PM PST

'); document.write(''); } else if ( show_gigya ) { document.write('
  • '); document.write('Share
  • '); function showShareUI(){ var H = {APIKey:"2_B48MVBl19K9CQj72UVrAqLh7VSAyZDfMkclkt8foSSRaAbdWu36H_N3Ky_ERWhDG", enabledProviders: "facebook,twitter", cid:"ESPN.Story"}; var I = new gigya.services.socialize.UserAction(); var A = {}; I.setUserMessage(""); if (jQuery(":header:first").length > 0) { I.setTitle(jQuery(".article").find(":header:first").text()); } else { I.setTitle(decodeURIComponent("Weir%20drops%20out%20of%20figure%20skating%20championships")); } I.setLinkBack("http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=figureskating%26id=4980434"); if (jQuery("#videoInfo").length > 0) { I.setDescription(jQuery(".article p:not(div.beta-opt p):first").text()); } else { I.setDescription(jQuery("p:first").text()); } if (jQuery(".article .image, .headshot").length > 0) { var theimage = (jQuery(".article .image, .headshot").find("img").attr("src")); I.addMediaItem( { type: 'image', src: theimage, href: 'http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=figureskating%26id=4980434' }); } A.userAction = I; gigya.services.socialize.showShareUI(H,A); return false; } } Associated Press

    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Johnny Weir needs a break.

    The figure skater announced Tuesday he will not compete at the world championships later this month in Turin, Italy. But he's not calling it quits, either, saying he hopes the work he does for next season will be the "most exciting of my career."

    "While I understand the importance of competition, I feel that a short break at this time would be personally beneficial to me," said Weir, who was sixth at the Vancouver Olympics. "I can assure everyone that I will be re-energized after I've had time to rework my technique.

    "I want to be a better competitor and win medals for my country and I hope everyone can respect my decision to take this time off."

    Weir will be replaced by Adam Rippon, winner of the last two junior world titles.

    With worlds beginning less than a month after the games end, it's not unusual for some of the biggest names to take a pass in an Olympic year.

    Olympic men's champion Evan Lysacek had already said he will not defend his title at worlds, which begin March 22 in Turin. Ice dancers Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin, who added the Olympic bronze medal to their world title from last year, are also taking a pass.

    Weir has spent much of the last week on a media blitz in New York and Los Angeles. But the fan favorite expects to be back on the ice soon.

    "I will continue to work hard," he said, "and I hope my work for next season will be the most exciting of my career."


    Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

    This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

    Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

    Evan Lysacek Goes for the Gold in 'Dancing with the Stars' - AccessAtlanta

    Posted: 09 Mar 2010 12:39 AM PST

    World Figure Skating Champion and Olympic gold medal winner Evan Lysacek is hard at work rehearsing with pro-partner Anna Trebunskaya for his "Dancing with the Stars" debut, and he tells ET, "I'm a big fan of the show, so it felt like the perfect step for me to take coming off of such an intense year."

    "I'm a very goal oriented person, and the Olympics has been my focus for the last four to eight years," explains Evan. "When it's over, there's obviously a void, and I think I needed a challenge and I needed something that was going to continue to give me that daily structure of training in my life."

    Evan and Anna's first dance is the Viennese Waltz, which he says is very romantic and smooth, "so I'm trying to capture the essence of it."

    Continue reading...

    Related stories: Hot Olympic Bachelor Evan Lysacek Clears Up Dating Rumors  Evan Lysacek Makes Olympic History with Gold Medal Win 

    Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

    Johnny Weir skipping Torino figure skating competition: See his ... - Gather.com

    Posted: 09 Mar 2010 04:16 PM PST

    Johnny Weir issued a statement today acknowledging he won't be in Italy competition at the ISU World Championship Games in Italy. The athlete, seen around Hollywood lately has decided to step back and rethink his performance during a short break from his career. CLICK HERE to see the red carpet photos of Johnny Weir's Outfit

    Here is his statment:

    I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love and support during the recent Olympic Games. The 2010 Olympics will be a memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I feel that I skated two of the best performances of my career, making my coaches, my family and above all myself very proud. But I would not have been able to skate the way I did without the encouragement of my fans worldwide. "And while I am still embracing my Olympic memories and have the momentum to move forward, I have decided that it is not advantageous at this time for me to partake in the World Championships in Torino, Italy. After my sixth place finish in Vancouver, I believe that I must take time to reassess my strategies and goals. While I understand the importance of competition, I feel that a short break at this time would be personally beneficial to me. I know all may not share my stance, but I can assure everyone that I will be re-energized after I've had time to rework my technique. I want to be a better competitor and win medals for my country and I hope everyone can respect my decision to take this time off.

    Once again, I want to thank everyone who supported me this season. Specifically, I would like to thank my coaches Galina Zmievskaya, Viktor Petrenko, Nina Petrenko, Priscilla Hill and David Wilson for helping me make my Olympic dreams a reality. I would also like to thank my family and friends for their never-ending support. Finally, I want my fans to know that I love them and I work every day to make them proud. I will continue to work hard and I hope my work for next season will be the most exciting of my career.


    Johnny Weir was at the 25th Film Independent Spirit Awards last Friday night. Finding himself the life of the red carpet, Weir took time to play with the camera and enjoy the moment. His outfit, a ruffled collar with shirt under a suit jacket was accompanied by a black pair of leather gloves. Johnny Weir's fashion was a winning style.

    CLICK HERE to see the red carpet photos of Johnny Weir's Outfit

    Five Filters featured article: Chilcot Inquiry. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment